Friday, March 16, 2007

Murder near the mountain

The strangest thing happened last weekend in Whistler. Someone was murdered for the first time in 30 years. I couldn't believe it when I saw the caution tape. When my brother told me it was a murder, I didn't believe him and insisted the tape was for the movie that was being shot. The first thing I did was ask a local, because in a town that size locals know everything. The story from this local who walked by the scene 10 minutes before the shooting said he saw two men in an altercation and that is why the cops were called. The Globe and Mail reported that a cop was nearby, but it seems like more than luck. Something I heard that all the news missed was a rumour that the two men were rival gang members. The altercation involved one party owing the other money and when the one didn't pay he was shot.
This is the kind of news that shocks a small town. For security reasons, cops are on the hill, but they are mostly looking for pass fraud. The only time I've ever seen cops in action in a ski town was to meet someone at the top of a chairlift to see if they were using someone else's pass. The person turned out to be local snowboarding Olympian Jason Smith who had a lot of gear on. When Jason got off the lift, the cop said, "Oh, hey Jason." They went their separate ways. Hopefully this event doesn't keep people from coming to Whistler.

No comments: