Thursday, March 1, 2007

I need a vacation

The beginning of March is upon us. For students or parents of school children that usually means one thing - spring break. For families like mine and many others around the world with some extra cash flow, that always means ski vacations. In the past quarter century, I have only missed a couple years where I haven't been skiing with at least one family member for a week during this time.
When I was little, ski school was the reason for my excitement. Now it is the fancy food my dad treats me to.
We began as a family going to the small resort of Talisman in Ontario. My mom liked the place because it had good food. I was skiing what they called a double black diamond by age eight. It was time for an upgrade. At nine, we took our first trip to Quebec. We actually went back to the same resort where my parents honeymooned, Gray Rocks. It was another decision based on food. My mom hated the idea of leaving the hotel to eat after she had her hot tub. That was also the place where I pulled my fist Iron Cross off a jump to impress my dad. I coincidentally dug my ski tips in and landed on my face causing my ex-ski patroller father to pop off his skis and run over to me as fast as possible. At 10 we were challenging the tough slopes of Vermont at Jay Peak. My brother and I had an instructor named Jay who skied, snowboarded, did arials and loved the backcountry. I'll never forget the first time I skied in bottomless snow out of bounds. One of my skis popped off and when I took the other one off to look, I sunk up to my chin into the fresh powder. Since I moved out west I have become a spoiled brat enjoying this week at either Vail, Aspen, Tahoe or Whistler.
I could go on for days talking about my ski vacations, but this is the week when many others are forming theirs and nothing should mess that up.
The memories are terrific, but picking a resort and planning all the details can seem like a full time job some time. It also should be noted that the cheapest rate a family of four should expect for a week is about $10,000. Next time, I'll give some tips for finding a good location and keeping some costs down without sacrificing fun. It is your week off, there is no point to having something small get in your way of a good time.

No comments: